21 Fantasy Fiction Quotes that Uplift
In a time such as this, when the world can feel like it’s falling down around us, when technology, meant for our good, can pull us apart, we need an abundance of positivity. The old adage sticks and stones won’t break my bones… is not even remotely accurate. Words have the power to speak life and death to a person’s soul. Words can wound and desiccate as mightly as the sword.
Some authors excel at creating sentences that capture the heart and resonate with the reader's spirit. Drawing out conscious and unconscious hurt and trauma with carefully phrased words or sentences is awe inspiring. Meticulously articulated thoughts give rise to fears and hope. Hope, that elusive spring of optimism, often in tragic and dire circumstances, can gather fire with a perfectly coined expression.
Listed below are some of my favorite quotes courtesy of mind-bending, eloquent, superbly talented, young adult science fiction and fantasy authors:
1. “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” ~Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling
2. “Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything’s possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time.” ~Legend by Marie Lu
3. “There’s nothing wrong with being different.” ~Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
4. “There is success. And there is failure. The land in between is for those too weak to live.” ~An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
5. “Books are easily destroyed. But words will live as long as people can remember them.” ~Ignite Me by Taherah Mafi
6. “Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there’s no actual magic in it but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.” ~Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
7. “The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe.” ~Eragon by Christopher Paolini
8. "The measure of a man is not how much he suffers in the test, but how he comes out at the end.” ~UnWholly by Neal Schusterman
9. “I will take responsibility for what I have done. If I must fall, I will rise each time a better man.” ~Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
10. “There is defiance in being a dreamer.” ~The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Scwab
11. “Nothing is hidden. You just have to know how to see.” ~Darkness in Green and Gold by Jo Holloway
12. “I am feeling like I need to tell you it’s okay to be who you are. That the power inside of you is amazing and can do great things.” ~Fae Away by Rose Garcia
13. “You aren’t cursed. Children can be unkind and you should pay them no mind. Your skin is unique and that’s what makes you special.” ~May a Divine Awaken by Michael Tinsley
14. "Do not be silent. Raise your voice. Be a light in the dark. ~Cinderella is Dead by Kalynn Bayron
15. “Hugs are a way of wrapping a person up and holding them together when they are falling apart. I’ve hugged and been hugged quite a bit in the past few weeks. It feels right to allow someone else control over your body for a few seconds, to allow yourself to crumble. Sometimes in falling apart, we find that we fit back together even better.” ~Shadows of Secrets and Lies by Dawn Brazil
16. "Courage does not always roar. Valor does not always shine. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
17. “All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside.” ~Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
18. “Home isn’t where you’re from, it’s where you find light when all grows dark.” ~Golden Son by Pierce Brown
19. “The best word shakers were the ones who understood the true power of words.” ~The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
20. “Dreams are hopeful because they exist as pure possibility. Unlike memories, which are fossils, long dead and buried deep.” ~We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson
21. "An idea can't be silenced, it can't be stopped: an idea is much more powerful than one man." ~The 716 by S.J. Pratt
This article was written by Dawn Brazil.
Since the world is not comprised of dreamy book boyfriends, Dawn creates them for everyone to fawn over. She writes Young Adult fantasy and science fiction with romance – always with romance.
When not writing, she can be found with her nose in a book. She also loves to recreate an array of dishes she pulls from Pinterest. Dawn lives in South Texas with her sports-obsessed husband and they have three technology-infatuated young adults.